|William Dollente Dar, Ph.D.
It was auspicious that two and a half years ago, in December 2016, President Rodrigo Roa Duterte honored Dar and two others as The Outstanding Filipino (TOFIL) awardees for 2016, for their “exemplary achievements and selfless dedication to their profession or vocation that resulted not only to the advancement of their respective fields of endeavor, but also made significant contributions to the betterment of our countrymen and to our country at large.”
This time, Dar will continue to serve the Philippines again as Acting Secretary of the Department of Agriculture.
He was named by then President Joseph Estrada as DA acting secretary, from July 1998 to May 1999. Under his short 11-month watch, he started implementing the provisions of the Agriculture and Fisheries Modernization Act (AFMA), and despite an unfortunate El Niño episode, the agriculture sector registered an unprecedented growth of 9.6% in 1999.To date, he is the only Filipino who led a global agricultural research institute — the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT), in India, serving for an unprecedented three five-year terms, from 2000 to 2014. He left a legacy benefitting millions of farmers in India, Africa, and other dryland countries, including the Philippines.
Son of poor farmers from Danuman West, Sta. Maria, Ilocos Sur, Dar has quadrupled the income and investments poured into ICRISAT, from US$ 21 million in 2000 to US$ 85 million in 2014. The fund went to further developing modern and sustainable crop cultivars/hybrids and technologies of its five major commodities (sorghum, pearl millet, chickpea, pigeonpea, and peanut) that are planted by tens of millions of small farmers worldwide.
ICRISAT is one the 15 research institutes under the CGIAR (Consultative Group for International Agricultural Research), a global partnership dedicated to reducing rural poverty, increasing food security, improving human health and nutrition, and ensuring sustainable management of natural resources. The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) in Los Banos, Laguna, is also a member of CGIAR.
During his term, ICRISAT has partnered with the Philippines’ Department of Agriculture through the Bureau of Agricultural Research, sharing modern sustainable farming technologies and cultivars of sweet sorghum, peanut, chickpea (garbanzos) and pigeonpea (kadyos) thousands of farmers in rainfed areas of Cagayan Valley, Ilocos, Southern Luzon, and Southern Mindanao regions.
He is currently the President of InangLupa Movement Inc., (InangLupa), a movement working for an inclusive, science-based, climate-smart and competitive Philippine agriculture.
He is also the former country representative of Prasad Seeds Philippines Inc.
His extensive research and professional experience were on crop management, farming systems development, and technology sharing and upscaling.
Before leaving for India, he also served as Presidential Advisor on Food Security (1999) and Executive Director, National Agricultural and Fishery Council (1998).
He started humbly as his farmer-parents were poor. His uncle Augustin Dollente sent him to college, studying BS in Agricultural Education in 1969 and MS in Agronomy in 1976, at the then Mountain State Agricultural College (MSAC), now known as Benguet State University (BSU), in La Trinidad, Benguet.
At BSU, he started as a researcher and instructor in 1979 and rose to become professor VI and vice president for R&D support services in 1985. In between those years, he pursued a PhD in horticulture at UP Los Baños, completing it in 1980.
When the DA was reorganized in 1987, then DA Secretary Carlos G. Dominguez III appointed him the first director of the Bureau of Agricultural Research (DA-BAR).
He then served as executive director of then PCARRD, from 1994 to 1998. The agency is now called the Philippine Council for Agriculture, Aquatic and Natural Resources Research and Development, based in Los Baños, Laguna.
He has received eight Doctorate degrees (Honoris Causa) in various fields by several state universities and colleges in (SUCs) in the Philippines.
In 1988, he was among the Ten Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) of the Philippines, and received an “Outstanding Administrator Award” from the Department of Science and Technology.
In 2014, he received the “Outstanding MS Swaminathan Leadership Award” from India.
In December 5, 2014, he received a “Pamana ng Pilipino Award” from then President Benigno Aquino III, honoring outstanding overseas Filipino individuals and organizations.
|ICON DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE WEBSITE|
- DA lines up key strategies to steer agri-fishery growth and transformation in 2021 (January 6, 2021)
- Ramon inaugurates its first completed FMR (January 6, 2021)
- PhilMech, nagdaos ng pagsasanay ukol sa mga makinaryang pangsaka sa Silangang Mindoro (January 6, 2021)
- PRDP-funded FMR in Catanduanes cuts LGU’s response time to disaster, pandemic (January 6, 2021)
- DA rolls-out cash and food subsidy program to Aklan corn farmers (January 6, 2021)
- DA7 holds corn-cassava training for NegOr stakeholders (January 6, 2021)
- DA NorMin launches cash, food subsidy for marginal farmers and fishers program (January 6, 2021)
- DA12 new thinking approach (January 6, 2021)
- Youth Scholars Pursue Agriculture, Agri-Related Courses under the ATI’s EAsY Agri Program (January 6, 2021)
- Sorghum Techno-Demo sites established in Mt. Province and Ifugao (December 10, 2020)
- Cash and Food Subsidy for Marginal Farmers and Fishers, inilunsad sa Pampanga (December 10, 2020)
- DA 4A conducts orientation on Data Privacy Act and its IRR (December 10, 2020)
- Farmers, rural women in Guinobatan receive agri’l interventions from DA Bicol (December 10, 2020)
- Cash and Food Subsidy Program to aid over 35k NegOcc farmers, fishers (December 10, 2020)
- Agri Chief distributes P91M worth of agri-interventions to Cebu farmers (December 10, 2020)
- Dar’s Visayas leg visit concludes with “Pasasalamat” in Region 8 (December 10, 2020)
- DA NorMin supports USTP Agropolis – Turismo AgriKultura initiative (December 10, 2020)
- SAAD North Cotabato distributes Horse Dispersal Project to 5 FAs in Cotabato Province (December 10, 2020)
- Vegetable techno demo sways farmers to adapt new ways (December 10, 2020)
- ‘Binhi Para sa Pamayanan’ Enlists Extension Partners (December 10, 2020)
- DA-BFAR to Boost Aquaculture Production through the Bayanihan 2 Stimulus Package (December 10, 2020)
- Livelihood interventions for Balik Probinsya Program in Kalawit (December 10, 2020)
- DA allots P454-M budget for Cebu agri sector (December 9, 2020)
- Visit to Subic Bunkers Ecotourism Project (December 9, 2020)
- DA, SIPAG MOA Signing for Sitio Kanawan (December 9, 2020)
- Enroute to Aquaculture Project- Mangrove Area of Sitio Kanawan (December 9, 2020)
- Groundbreaking of Multi-Fruit and Vegetable Processing Facility at NVAT (December 9, 2020)
- 96 MP farmers graduate from DA-CAR’s SOA on strawberry production and management (December 9, 2020)
- DA-RFO 2 distributes relief goods to flood-stricken brgys in Isabela and Cagayan provinces (December 9, 2020)
- Cash and food subsidy program to aid over 35k NegOcc farmers, fishers (December 9, 2020)
- DA7 urges LGUs in Negros Oriental to enact agri ordinances (December 9, 2020)
- Talakag farmers to benefit P15-M enhanced kadiwa projects from DA NorMin (December 9, 2020)
- Agri-Pulis sa SOCCSKSARGEN (December 9, 2020)
- ATI Training Programs for AEWs Take on ‘New Extensionist’ Approach (December 9, 2020)
- NMIS orients 2021 MEIP recipients (December 9, 2020)
- Agri chief receives “Lifetime Excellence Award” (November 22, 2020)
- DA-RFO2 distributes relief goods in Penablanca, Cagayan (November 22, 2020)
- DA boost promoting organic agriculture in Central Luzon (November 22, 2020)
- PRDP-Bicol highlighted for best practices at 11th WB Implementation Support Mission (November 22, 2020)
- Farmers get free fruit trees seedlings, plastic mulch (November 22, 2020)
- Challenge accepted! (November 22, 2020)
- Zambo farmers, irrigators receive 2.8-M worth farm machines and equipment, rice seeds (November 22, 2020)
- Aggie dept underscores adoption, support to Organic Agriculture (November 22, 2020)
- DA12 strengthens dairy industry in the region (November 22, 2020)
- Ayuda ng DA-BAI para sa Paghahayupan sa Ifugao (November 22, 2020)
- DA-BPI joins Locally Sourced in Galleria South (November 22, 2020)
- NDA celebrates Rice Awareness Month 2020 (November 22, 2020)
- IPM helps farmers in Midsayap (November 22, 2020)
- NTA starts beef cattle dispersal (November 22, 2020)
- 42nd MEETING OF THE ASEAN MINISTERS ON AGRICULTURE AND FORESTRY (AMAF) (October 21, 2020)
- PSA forecasts 2020 Q3 palay prod’n to increase 16% (October 21, 2020)
- Farmers, fishers to receive cash, food aid from excess rice tariffs, “Bayanihan 2” (October 21, 2020)
- DA, PCAFI sign agreement to improve market linkage for farmers/fishers (October 21, 2020)
- DA to launch Market Outlet in SM Baguio (October 21, 2020)
- Rice farmer beneficiaries of the Department of Agriculture Ilocos Region’s LU CHAMP Program finally reaps the fruit of their labor (October 21, 2020)
- Amancio Agri-Tourism Academy, DA-RFO 02, ISU and NVSU launch drive thru store and restaurant amidst pandemic (October 21, 2020)
- Organic Agriculture Program stimulate through a competition (October 21, 2020)
- P49-milyong halaga ng subsidiya para sa abono ng mga magsasaka pinapamigay na sa Palawan (October 21, 2020)
- KOICA’s Emergency Rice Support Project aids Panay farmers, NCR poor households (October 21, 2020)
- Mabini, Bohol farmer gets highest yield from hybrid rice (October 21, 2020)
- The persistent corn farmer (October 21, 2020)
- Agri NorMin aids in fight vs insurgency thru livelihood assistance (October 21, 2020)
- DA-XI, NMIS conduct Livestock Stakeholders Meeting in Davao City (October 21, 2020)
- DA-12 presents the fundamentals of F2C2 program with farmer leaders of Sarangani, GenSan and SoCot (October 21, 2020)
- DA-Caraga conducts project monitoring amidst pandemic (October 21, 2020)
- BFAR Shellfish Bulletin No. 23 (October 21, 2020)
- NTA OKs rules for mandatory online transaction for regulatory processes (October 21, 2020)
- SILAW receives PHilMech solar dryer (October 21, 2020)
- UPLB alumni group honors DA chief for exemplary achievements (October 12, 2020)
- DA RFO 02 distributes fertilizers in Solana, Cagayan in support to RRP (October 12, 2020)
- Quezon farmers affected by ASF receive livelihood intervention from DA (October 12, 2020)
- RMiagao, Iloilo irrigators’ group champs BSWM national search (October 12, 2020)
- DA7′s PRIME conducts monitoring, distributes foliar fertilizers amid pandemic (October 12, 2020)
- DA-8 Research Chief Presents Proposal for Rehab of DA Research Centers (October 12, 2020)
- Nearly a million pesos worth of chickens sold amid COVID-19 Pandemic (October 12, 2020)
- Paquibato People’s Organizations start to harvest produce from technology upscaling program (October 12, 2020)
- Regional Halal Forum (October 12, 2020)
- Project monitoring of improved tobacco seedling production in Ilocos Norte, Candon (October 12, 2020)
- “Increasing local food prod’n is our priority, importation is a last resort” – DA Chief (October 10, 2020)
- PRDP funded enterprise conducts milk feeding program as prelude to World Food Day Celebration (October 10, 2020)
- CPAR Kicks Off Rice Farmers of Zambales (October 10, 2020)
- DA 4A joins World Egg Day celebration (October 10, 2020)
- NFA ramps up palay buying in WV to secure enough buffer stocks amid a pandemic (October 10, 2020)
- DA7 gives away P6.1 million worth of agri-machineries to Bohol farmers (October 10, 2020)
- Nationwide “School-On-The-Air” for farmers now on the drawing board (October 10, 2020)
- Sulu farmer learns to trust in government anew with SAAD interventions (October 10, 2020)
- DA-11 readies RPCs to help Davao farmers in palay processing and marketing (October 10, 2020)
- Agusan del Sur coco farmers receive P6M financial aid (October 10, 2020)
- Hybrid rice good for wet season (October 10, 2020)
|William Dar has been chosen as LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR Awardee by the Board of Judges of Asia CEO Awards 2020.William Dar is a global leader in agriculture governance and research. As current Secretary of Agriculture, he is leading efforts to transform Philippine agriculture into a dynamic high-growth sector to speed up the country’s recovery and poverty reduction. He is also making his department transparent to “erase the old-stricken image of a corrupt-driven department.”Dr Dar is servant leader of the InangLupa Movement championing modernization of Philippine agriculture guided by an inclusive, science-based, resilient, and market-oriented development strategy. As past Director General of ICRISAT, he championed the cause of small farmers in developing countries across Asia and Africa.
William Dar has published several books including “Feeding the Forgotten Poor” with foreword written by former President of India, His Excellency Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. His numerous recognitions include: Outstanding Administrator Award from DoST, Outstanding MS Swaminathan Leadership Award (India), 揚amana ng Pilipino Award from the Office of the President, 8 doctorate degrees from universities across the Philippines, etc.
Help Us Congratulate Secretary of Agriculture, William Dar, as LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR (Public Sector) at Asia CEO Awards 2020.
See William Dar on stage along with the elite of the nation’s public and private sector leaders at Asia CEO Awards 2020 on Tuesday, October 13 at 6:30pm. Held on the Asia CEO Awards Facebook page (and the Asia CEO Forum Facebook page). Join us at 11th Asia CEO Awards, the largest event of its kind in Southeast Asia.
Asia CEO Awards, with Title Sponsor, PLDT Enterprise, is the largest business awards event in the Philippines. Its purpose is to promote the Philippines as the premier business destination for the world. Major sponsors include: EY Global Delivery Services, Insular Life, JLL, Kyani, LBC Business Solutions, Multisys Technologies, Regus, Sitel, Smart Enterprise, SPi Global, Sprout Solutions, Teletech, United Neon, World Vision. Video Sponsor is FIND Human Resources. Official Knowledge Partner is PwC. Media Partners are CNN Philippines, BusinessMirror, BusinessWorld, Philippine Daily Inquirer, Good News Pilipinas.
WHEN: 6:30pm, Tuesday, October 13th